2015年12月8日火曜日

Pursuing your potential

“Never limit your potential.”

This is words of Katsuya Nomura, ex-manager of professional baseball teams in Japan



***

As you gain experiences, you might think that you can understand yourself.

For instance, let’s talk about the test in your school.
Before you take a test, you don’t know what subject you are good at.
But, taking many tests, you get to know yourself like “I am good at mathematics and Japanese language,” or “I may be strong in English but I am weak in science.”
You can see yourself very well, right?

As such, you can understand yourself by gaining experiences.

But, please keep it in your mind that experience gets sometimes medicine to you, but sometimes poison to you.

The upside of experience is that it makes you confident.
As above example, a good experience like “I am good at mathematics” makes you self-confident, and as a result, you can make more efforts.
By contrast, the downside of experience is that it limits your potential.
In above example, experience like “I am bad at Japanese language” tends to input you a sense of inferiority. It might make you think that this subject is not suited to you.

But, you might have a great talent by which you might become a novelist. You just couldn’t read Kanji character very well at the test by chance.
You might have the talent to become a scientist, but, at the test, there might have been fields which you are not good at by chance.
If you limit your potential, you might not be able to make the best use of your talent.
If you make a failure, you can avoid limiting your potential by reflecting on your failure.
If your score of Japanese language is bad, it is important to review which point you couldn’t answer, and which field you could answer very well. By doing so, you can change your perception, from “I am weak in Japanese language” to “although I am not good at Kanji character at present, I am not bad at Japanese language itself.”

One important point here is, you should think “I am not good at ~~ at present” rather than “I am not good at ~~.”
If you think “I am not good at Kanji character,” you might misunderstand like “as I don’t have any talent, I am not good at Kanji character.”
If you consider “I am not good at Kanji character at present,” there is hope that you can be good at Kanji character in future, although you are not good at it right now.”

If you limit your potential by experiences, you feel hard to live, right?
By contrast, if you can have hope or confidence, you can enjoy living, right?

Thanks for reading!!